Auteur Sujet: Battle Mode Goal Total  (Lu 56555 fois)

Hors ligne duffjr

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Elite
  • CDM2023: 10ème
Battle Mode Goal Total
« le: 31 juillet 2010, à 08:26:11 »
I propose the semifinal goal to be first to score 15 and the final goal to be first to 21.

Pros:
Less random factors in longer match.
More aggressive play(more risks taken).

Cons:
20 minutes longer for semis, 30 minutes longer for final.
Chance for larger score differential(match not as close).

Implementation:
All players agree to goal total before start of tournament or only semifinalists/finalists agree to goal total before start of matches. 

Hors ligne Antistar

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Myth
  • CDM2023: 7ème
  • ★★★★★★★
    • Antistar.fr
Re : Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #1 le: 31 juillet 2010, à 15:05:21 »
The main problem about this idea is that cons are much more important than pros... :-\

Many people already think that first to 11 is way too long, so I don't think there would be lots of players who would agree with your proposition :(
ce que tu penses, je le sors à mes potes à l'apéro pour les faire marrer

What is said in La Suze, stays in La Suze  ;D

Hors ligne Geo

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Legend
  • CDM2023: 5ème
« Réponse #2 le: 02 août 2010, à 16:28:20 »
Personnaly, I think first to 15 and 21 is too long, specially after a full day of battle mode playing. :-X

I really like the actual rule : first to 5/7/9/11.
The thing we spent the most time thinking about was the Battle Mode. Miyamoto.

Hors ligne Champion de la TOC

• Adhérents IASMK
  • King
  • CDM2023: 4ème
  • 57"90... and ...
    • Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Rankings
« Réponse #3 le: 02 août 2010, à 16:42:04 »
The problem was maybe having several hours gaps sometimes between the quarters, semis, finals etc. We got sidetracked and started playing table tennis for too long lol

If we shorten the break times just a tiny bit, the extra 20-30 mins for a few matches would be easily fit in. We could start the poules a bit earlier in the day also, not 4pm?

Of course i dont want to be having a semi final battle mode to drag on too long either but it wont affect me as i wont reach that far this year. For Drew it could be interesting to see the results though...

Up to you guys.
The Last Jedi of SMK

"It's time for the SMK skills, to end"

Hors ligne Geo

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Legend
Re : Re : Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #4 le: 02 août 2010, à 16:46:35 »
Yes I understand the point of Drew but :

1) for me the CDM is already a marathon

2) first to 9/11 is enought in my opinion

Of course i dont want to be having a semi final battle mode to drag on too long either but it wont affect me as i wont reach that far this year.

True, more far...

Hors ligne Geo

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Legend
Re : Re : Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #5 le: 02 août 2010, à 16:50:26 »
If we shorten the break times just a tiny bit, the extra 20-30 mins for a few matches would be easily fit in. We could start the poules a bit earlier in the day also, not 4pm?

Yes and yes, but in the theory.... in the reality, it's not easy to control a group of 30-40 guys, because we frenches are uneducated. ;D

Hors ligne Antistar

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Myth
  • ★★★★★★★
    • Antistar.fr
Re : Re : Re : Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #6 le: 02 août 2010, à 16:54:40 »
Yes and yes, but in the theory...

I love the "word-to-word" way you're speaking English Geo... :D

Hors ligne Champion de la TOC

• Adhérents IASMK
  • King
  • CDM2023: 4ème
  • 57"90... and ...
    • Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Rankings
Re : Re : Re : Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #7 le: 02 août 2010, à 16:57:04 »

Yes and yes, but in the theory.... in the reality, it's not easy to control a group of 30-40 guys, because we frenches are uneducated. ;D

Yes Geo but you dont have to worry about 30-40 Frenchies, you only have to worry about one...

Looks at crazy Parigo
The Last Jedi of SMK

"It's time for the SMK skills, to end"

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
  • CDM2023: 2ème
  • Regular subscriber to the SMK multiplayer lottery
    • My Twitch channel (SMK livestreams!)
Re: Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #8 le: 02 août 2010, à 17:20:40 »
I think what Drew means is instead of "wasting" time (to say it in a politically incorrect manner) beating people he knows he will beat in the poule phases all day long, he'd rather have longer matches in the final phases that actually matter and determine the ultimate results.

I'm in favour of his proposition, if it doesn't need much more playing time overall. Just reduce the group stage a bit, which involves  beating generic newbie A,B,C,D with 4-0, and extent the matches that determine who can actually call himself World Champion.  8)

This can be achieved by splitting the qualification into 4 different groups for example.

I definitely think the CDM puts too much emphasis on the qualification stage and in comparison too little on the finals. Especially for an event that states that it produces "official" World Champions. This seems especially true in Battle Mode, where a first to 20 match can be reached quite easily and adapting to your opponent can take a few matches.
« Modifié: 02 août 2010, à 17:25:12 par KVD »

Hors ligne Antistar

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Myth
  • ★★★★★★★
    • Antistar.fr
Re : Re: Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #9 le: 02 août 2010, à 17:25:01 »
I definitely think the CDM puts too much emphasis on the qualification stage and too little on the finals, in comparison, especially in Battle Mode, where a first to 20 match can be reached quite easily.

I totally disagree with you on that point. Battle is from far the longest mode of all because of very long single matches that cannot be foreseen. Battle final phase is obviously longer than MR or even GP because of that.

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
« Réponse #10 le: 02 août 2010, à 17:26:41 »
That's because when it's first to 7, like the current quarter finals for example, losing 1 match is relatively more costly, so players will play ultra-defensively. If you have a large buffer for a comeback this will encourage more attacking and aggressive play, which will speed up the matches significantly.

Illustrated with a real-life example, I always play vs Marius online and we both play very aggressive...we can reach a first to 30 in like 1 hour sometimes.  :-X We NEVER spent much time on 1 map.  >:D

EDIT: To fix the problem of having a large group of players sitting and doing nothing for the rest of the day when the group stages are over, we could organize a losers bracket in parallel. This will be more exciting and interesting for them anyway. Another example to illustrate this: I'd say Narnet would take more pleasure playing close matches vs Aron Langerak and the likes, then vs Geo, Flo and Sami. Players like him will get the right dose in terms of opposition difficulty with such a system...the chance to face a stronger player 2 or 3 times (instead of 8 times) in the qualification and then a chance to play players of his own lvl for the remainder of the day. I know this probably reeks of political incorrectness (especially by using examples), but I do think the point holds true.
« Modifié: 02 août 2010, à 17:37:05 par KVD »

Hors ligne djo

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Legend
  • Joueur retraité
    • Site mondial GP150cc
« Réponse #11 le: 02 août 2010, à 17:31:51 »
which involves  beating generic newbie A,B,C,D with 4-0, and extent the matches that determine who can actually call himself World Champion.  8)

This can be achieved by splitting the poules into 4 different groups for example.
If you do that, the newbie play less... :-\

But in that case I could suggest to adopt the "belgian system" used this year at the CDB. With that you don't need to do groups (very difficult to do 4 groups equitably, especially in BM) and you can play as much matches as you want with any number of player... and last but not least with a lot of interesting matches in the poule, because you play each time against your nearest opponent of the ranking!
For example : 10 matches of poule with 36 players!

Ask to FF or Narnet, they try it and love it! 8)
Webmaster du site GP150cc www.smkgp150cc.com
Webmaster du site SPK http://superparigokart.haisoft.net/
Bon bin 2ème belge ex-aequo en 2 player... :D

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
« Réponse #12 le: 02 août 2010, à 17:34:12 »
That's more or less what I just proposed in my edit, but achieved through a different system.  ;D
Thanks for underlining the point though, I do completely agree.  :)
« Modifié: 02 août 2010, à 17:37:43 par KVD »

Hors ligne Antistar

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Myth
  • ★★★★★★★
    • Antistar.fr
« Réponse #13 le: 02 août 2010, à 17:47:21 »
Illustrated with a real-life example, I always play vs Marius online and we both play very aggressive...we can reach a first to 30 in like 1 hour sometimes.  :-X We NEVER spent much time on 1 map.  >:D

The difference between a friendly opposition and an official match is rather huge, and will have a big influence on the way both players will drive, and on their defensive strategies. When you reach an as high level as a CDM quarterfinal, you'll never be able to perform a first to 30 within a single hour. Unless both players are Harold-like drivers who take all risks.

Hors ligne djo

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Legend
  • Joueur retraité
    • Site mondial GP150cc
« Réponse #14 le: 02 août 2010, à 17:52:20 »
That's more or less what I just proposed in my edit, but achieved through a different system.  ;D
Thanks for underlining the point though, I do completely agree.  :)
For me, we could change the poule system to have something more exciting for all level of player. But I'm pretty sure (and have yet try it) that this kind of reform couldn't pass :-\

We dared it this year and that was a great success (with only 6 matches in the poule!!!), everybody like it : the big newbies and the top players. The belgian forum seem to have some problem at the moment so I can't illustrate at the moment what I say with the results of the CDB.
http://smkbelgium.monforum.com/cdb-2010-resultats-vt931989.html

But if some people want to learn more about our poule system I can explain it quitely here :)
Webmaster du site GP150cc www.smkgp150cc.com
Webmaster du site SPK http://superparigokart.haisoft.net/
Bon bin 2ème belge ex-aequo en 2 player... :D