Auteur Sujet: Battle Mode Goal Total  (Lu 56535 fois)

Hors ligne Antistar

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Myth
  • CDM2023: 7ème
  • ★★★★★★★
    • Antistar.fr
Re : Re: Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #30 le: 03 août 2010, à 14:35:43 »
Actually I think last year's final would have been a lot better in a first to 20. Drew would have had time to recover (and get used to Koopa again) and would have made it a closer match; hard to prove, but likely. But that's not the point.

Perhaps it would have turned into a wider gap between Geo and Drew, or perhaps not, we'll never know.

I currently cannot support the idea of longer final phases, I'm only "interested" in a time limit concept, even if Gatchan gave strong arguments against that.

I highly doubt we will change the number of winning rounds in that way someday...
ce que tu penses, je le sors à mes potes à l'apéro pour les faire marrer

What is said in La Suze, stays in La Suze  ;D

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
  • CDM2023: 2ème
  • Regular subscriber to the SMK multiplayer lottery
    • My Twitch channel (SMK livestreams!)
Re: Re : Re: Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #31 le: 03 août 2010, à 14:39:26 »
Actually I think last year's final would have been a lot better in a first to 20. Drew would have had time to recover (and get used to Koopa again) and would have made it a closer match; hard to prove, but likely. But that's not the point.

Perhaps it would have turned into a wider gap between Geo and Drew, or perhaps not, we'll never know.

Well it's likelier that that match would have gotten more interesting, as Drew still had to get used to Koopa again and showed improvement in the final few matches. It's Drew's own mistake for picking D.K. JR, but Gatchan was asking for an example of a final that could have become more exciting with more rounds, and if anything, I believe this one would have very likely fitted that bill.
I definitely believe Geo would have still won, but it would have probably gotten closer.

Hors ligne ScouB

• Webmaster
  • Titan
  • SMK World Champion
    • Twitch
Re : Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #32 le: 03 août 2010, à 14:40:29 »

He shoud have also play with koopa at the begining, that's his fault  ;) overconfident in his skills with DK against geo
:kot_1: :kot_2: :kot_3: :kot_eclair: :kot_coeur: :kot_baffe:  Calza.

Follow me on: YouTube // Twitch // Twitter

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
Re: Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #33 le: 03 août 2010, à 14:41:51 »
Yeah, but that's not the point. Gatchan was asking for an example and this would be THE example, regardless if it was Drew's mistake or not.

Hors ligne Antistar

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Myth
  • ★★★★★★★
    • Antistar.fr
Re : Re: Re : Re: Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #34 le: 03 août 2010, à 14:44:01 »
Well it's likelier that that match would have gotten more interesting, as Drew still had to get used to Koopa again and showed improvement in the final few matches. It's Drew's own mistake for picking D.K. JR, but Gatchan was asking for an example of a final that could have become more exciting with more rounds, and if anything, I believe this one would have very likely fitted that bill.
I definitely believe Geo would have still won, but it would have probably gotten closer.

Geo was the best even when Drew switched to Koopa, the final score speaks the truth.

Are we trying to change history or change the future? ;D

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
« Réponse #35 le: 03 août 2010, à 14:48:47 »
As last year's final was a first to 11, of course that score speaks the truth. It's logical Geo was better even (and perhaps even especially) when Drew switched to Koopa, as Drew was playing with D.K. JR all week. It does take some time to get used to a new character again and this was time Geo was not going to give him obviously.  ;)
But if you analyze the final 2 or 3 matches, you could already see that Drew was definitely getting closer to Geo's level again, by getting more used to Koopa. Ask Geo himself and he will very likely confirm this. If this pattern continued to develop and you extrapolate from this, a first to 20 would have probably lead to a 20-13 score or so, or closer (more exciting) than the 11-4 at any rate.

I'm not trying to change history, I'm merely saying what I think the effect would have been of a longer match in last year's final and using that as a potential argument.

Hors ligne Gatchan

• King
  • the Rambo of SMK
« Réponse #36 le: 03 août 2010, à 14:57:25 »
I understand you Karel when you say the match could have been closer with both players with their favourite drivers. But I think you cannot use that as an argument, Drew just didn't use the best strategie to win, and was defeated (maybe because of that), that's his fault, not the fault of the 11 wins rule.

And about surhuman skills at avoiding red shells, it's just too much reflection for me to consider it as being pussy. It's "to a certain extend" as you said, an extend I just can't concieve. If one's reach Geo's level and doesn't get hit but by any unlucky triple combo, it just means he deserves to be champion, as Geo became, 'cause he's just intouchable. And he still have to crush the other's balloon, whatever his avoiding level is.
« Modifié: 03 août 2010, à 14:59:34 par Gatchan »

Hors ligne noctambule

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Legend
  • Parigo Skanky & Lovely Style
« Réponse #37 le: 03 août 2010, à 14:58:48 »
karel i understand your opinion about the duration of qualification, but as i said before, it's the only way to play with maximum number of players. with current system, you are pretty sure to finish the championship by having met everybody in at least one mode.
it's true that qualification are veeeery long, maybe too long. but i don't see any other solution which could provide such a good fit (playing everybody) :P

I could imagine the introduction of the timer if we decide that the final must be played in 1 hour max. semi 45mn. 1/4 30mn. 1/8 15mn... for example. so players would play that time and we'll see the score.
BUT how would be a match with a strong player against one weaker ? 1/4 finals are usually not close, so after 30mn of playing what would be the score ? 13-2 ? :-X
at the opposite, a very close semi final with 2 strong players (semi-players are always very strong, at least in battle) could be still at 8-7 after 45mn. so..?
i share gatchan's view about battle's duration which is unpredictable. of course that's one of main points that makes this mode special and different. we have to keep that 8)

in case of over-time, i completely disagree the one-balloon idea. tooo random and unfair ! same in tennis you can't imagine instead of tie-break, the player who wins the first point gets the win :-X

i'm convinced it would have been worst for drew in 1st to 20 ;D :-* geo was just unbeatable. I played a lot with him and he played in a way I never seen before, alternating attack and defensiv phases like noboby did :o

So yes to a certain extend, if you're driving patterns are as such that you are always in a position to dodge a red shell, you ARE playing pussy and ruining the mode.
completely agree with that 8) spk's map 3 has been created for those players ::)
CDM, où tu iras j'irai :-* O0

Bref, je conclue en espérant que vous ouvriez un peu les yeux... :(

Hors ligne Antistar

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Myth
  • ★★★★★★★
    • Antistar.fr
« Réponse #38 le: 03 août 2010, à 15:00:00 »
I'm not trying to change history, I'm merely saying what I think the effect would have been of a longer match in last year's final and using that as a potential argument.

I accept the argument, but have you ever thought about the issues?

Battle Mode is from far the longest of all modes with a first to 5-7-9-11 system. Then, just imagine when we may end the final with a first to 20 system... CDM is already a marathon for many of us and as Harold told before, we're not only here to compete and fight, but to meet ourselves, have fun, play other games, and the best of us would never take adavantage of that week. :(

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
« Réponse #39 le: 03 août 2010, à 15:07:09 »
Well my worry is that when several players reach Geo's level of intouchability or red shell immunity, the most decisive factor to seperate two such skilled players would be by how many random greens they would get hit (unlucky three hit combos). But since this is purely hypothetical (like you said Gatchan), the problem hasn't manifested itself at all yet, thankfully.  :P

I still think the 5-7-9-11 system is the best system too actually, but I'm merely posting my reflections on what could be the consequences of different systems. I think it's natural for competitions to evolve. This can only be reached when every potential mutation receives a lot of careful consideration.
« Modifié: 03 août 2010, à 15:08:56 par KVD »

Hors ligne Champion de la TOC

• Adhérents IASMK
  • King
  • CDM2023: 4ème
  • 57"90... and ...
    • Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Rankings
Re : Re : Re: Re : Re: Battle Mode Goal Total
« Réponse #40 le: 03 août 2010, à 15:08:50 »

Geo was the best even when Drew switched to Koopa, the final score speaks the truth.

Are we trying to change history or change the future? ;D

Yes, he switched to Koopa too late though, so it was over. I too think if he had Koopa fom the start he would have lost that day but with a closer score.

In the end of the day, i still say I rate his D.K.Jr well, not in that final, but his crushing semi final and taking the rest of us all down in a woman's dress :D

So lets see what the future brings, i predict a closer score this time at least. The pressure is on for Geo to win this time though. :)
The Last Jedi of SMK

"It's time for the SMK skills, to end"

Hors ligne Antistar

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Myth
  • ★★★★★★★
    • Antistar.fr
« Réponse #41 le: 03 août 2010, à 15:09:11 »
I still think the 5-7-9-11 system is the best system too actually

^^

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
« Réponse #42 le: 03 août 2010, à 15:11:40 »
Well, as mainly Harold illustrated, the benefits of this system outweigh the cons.

I understand you Karel when you say the match could have been closer with both players with their favourite drivers. But I think you cannot use that as an argument, Drew just didn't use the best strategie to win, and was defeated (maybe because of that), that's his fault, not the fault of the 11 wins rule.

I'm not saying Drew lost because of the fault of the 11 wins rule, that would indeed be quite a stupid statement to make. I am saying that a 20 wins rule would have likely resulted in a better match, which is the example you asked for and thus the point I was trying to make.
« Modifié: 03 août 2010, à 15:38:52 par KVD »

Hors ligne noctambule

• Adhérents IASMK
  • Legend
  • Parigo Skanky & Lovely Style
« Réponse #43 le: 03 août 2010, à 15:14:37 »
I still think the 5-7-9-11 system is the best system too actually, but I'm merely posting my reflections on what could be the consequences of different systems. I think it's natural for competitions to evolve. This can only be reached when every potential mutation receives a lot of careful consideration.
true. the current debate shows the consideration is there karel ;)
CDM, où tu iras j'irai :-* O0

Bref, je conclue en espérant que vous ouvriez un peu les yeux... :(

Hors ligne KVD

• Webmaster
  • Legend
« Réponse #44 le: 03 août 2010, à 15:16:50 »
Then why does nothing ever change?  ;D

*Except for TT and the Master Cup experiment.... ::) ;D ;D ;D